Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Stephansdom

I simply must make another post about Stephansdom, and this time it's dedicated entirely to it.  My day was very different today than yesterday, my first day here, and of course very different than the evening I arrived here.  Today, I picked a few main things I wanted to aim to see and visit, and I had a much better idea on how the trains worked, and how the town worked, so I wasn't constantly nervous I was in the middle of getting lost and heading in the completely wrong direction with no way to return.  After a certain point, I headed towards Stephansdom again, and I just sat at one of the alters ... for a really long time.

















(The alter appeared almost exactly in this arrangement, with this gate and stonework on the right of me/it).  Here I rested deeply, not just as an escape from the heat or because I was tired of walking; I prayed.  I sat quietly and just gave myself permission to take as much time there today as I wanted.  There is just so much to take in and I realized it's an extremely fulfilling place to be.  I just sat and sat some more, and looked all around.  I felt so satisfied here, and I began to feel like I could sit there all day long and not be bored.  I wished I could be the only one in there, or one of a very few.

Then, I got up and sat at another alter, looking around for a long time:


















It was here where I realized I could not only be here all day without getting bored, but that I could live here.  That I wanted to live here in this Cathedral, and that it was almost the very core of my purpose in Vienna to come here to it, and be in it for as long as I needed.  I will go back again tomorrow.



2 comments:

  1. This is so lovely, Karli! I should have come to this blog before commenting on the Facebook pic of Stephansdom. Thank you for doing this blog - it's quite delightful!
    Julaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gone through all and what surprised me most was how least visited was Beethoven's apartment and how well visited Mozart's place is! . . . and how unknown to many was Beethoven's place yet it is on the same street as Mozart's. ..strange...

    Thanks for this wonderful travel blog where you give us much of your impressions and how the places and their peoples affect you. I have always admired your sensitivity as a human being. It takes much effort to do this .... yet you share. THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete