Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Apartments

Today I visited Beethoven's winter apartment from between the years 1804 and 1814.  This is located in the Pasqualati House, and is on the 4th floor, which I arrived at after this twisty flight of stairs that even the Great himself used to trudge (luckily for him, it was in less heat than what I walked today!):

In the first room straight ahead from the entryway, you find his piano:














 Floor plan, as well as some of Beethoven's belongings:  

I also visited Mozart's only apartment in Vienna that is still standing, however, I was not allowed to take photos there.  I find it interesting the differences in these apartments, regarding size, location, and even the way they are treated today for others to appreciate.  Mozart's was the largest he ever lived in and was quite nice even by my own standards of today.  Beethoven's was smaller and a bit more awkward.  Mozart's is very near the Stephansdom, it was very easy to find, and extremely well-visited and operated, hosting multi-media for the use of somebody like me to get a fuller idea on what his life was like there.  Beethoven's was very hard to find, though just across the well-known street, the Opera Ring, from the Wein University, and seemed to be rarely visited, as well as nobody seeming to know where it was (though it apparently used to look out accross the city suburbs to the hills of Vienna Woods)!

Beethoven is supposed to have changed residencies around 70 times during his stay in Vienna, and he would spend the summer months in the country.  Mozart had around 12 apartments throughout his Vienna years, and the years he spent in the apartment that I saw today are believed to be some of his happiest.  Beethoven was in Vienna quite a bit longer than Mozart, Salzburg seems to be an even greater association for Mozart, yet there are no "Beethoven" chocolate and souvenier shops, while many things are named after Mozart.  Mozart is by far the big celebration, and while I love Mozart, it makes me sad that for some reason Beethoven doesn't have this kind of recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment