Saturday, August 25, 2012

Mozart and Stephansdom

I hadn't realized anything of Mozart's religious views, really, and still have a lot to learn regarding that.  But, when I visited Stephansdom in Vienna for the last time, I paid a little to get inside the main area that was roped off from the general public, and I took a tour with an audio guide.  There, in a far back region and to a side, was a room dedicated to Mozart, and something telling about him and his donations towards the church, as well as something regarding his religious views.  I wish I remembered more in detail about that, but there was so much to be taking in all at once just being there.  What I take away from it, though, is that he in fact had deep beliefs and ties to the church based on spiritual beliefs, at least this is how the church portrays it.  This is a change from seeing him as just a frisky man with only boyish tendencies in life and I appreciate that shift in viewpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment